History

The OMWA was formed in 1908 at the prompting of the Headmaster of the day, the Rev. G. A. Jones. Previously there had been a dinner club. The Cricket Club was also formed in 1908. The Association’s objectives were to continue friendships started at school, promote sporting activities and act for the mutual benefit of former pupils and school
staff.

The Association has since developed considerably, but still pursues its original aims.

On the sporting side, only the Cricket Club has survived for the entire life of the Association. Athletics, motoring, rambling, soccer and tennis sections have had their glory days but are now just happy memories. Currently the TMWA also supports amateur dramatics, football, golf, hockey and rugby.

The Cricket Club has four Saturday teams in the Ryman sponsored Surrey Championship, one team in the Griffin Sunday Cricket League and one team in the Surrey Trust League. A very strong Colts Section runs teams at age groups from U8 to U16 in the NEC Surrey Colts League and East Surrey Colts League.

Important Dates:

1908: Old Mid-Whitgiftian Cricket Club founded
1908: First Old Boys fixture against Whitgift Middle School played
1935: Alex Dibbs captains Whitgift Middle School 1st XI
1938: Lime Meadow site acquired
1939: Clubhouse built
1951: Second cricket square added
1974: Joined the Truman Surrey County League
1977: Inaugural Club tour to Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire
1978: Tour to Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire and Somerset
1980: Eight seasons of Gloucester tours commence
1983: 75th Anniversary Season celebrations include match vs a Surrey XI
1983: Alex Dibbs becomes President of MCC
1988: Five years of Somerset tours begin
1991: First Overseas Tour (to Barbados)
1992: Joined the Eve Surrey Championship
1992: An Inter-Club ‘Insomniacs Match’ from 4.50am to 9.10pm is played
1993: Second trip to Barbados
1993: Colts Section re-formed
1994: Indoor League, at Slips (Beckenham),Division 6 Play-off Winners
1995: Overseas Tour to Sri Lanka
1995: Installation of All Weather Pitch
1996: Somerset toured again
1997: Overseas Tour to Zimbabwe
1997: One of 8 founder members of the Fullers Old Boys Sunday League
1997: Mark Butcher becomes the first Old Boy to play for England
1997: First Overseas Player registered
1998: Worcester becomes the HQ for the first of seven annual tours
1999: Gained Promotion to Surrey Championship Division 1
2000: Wicket covers purchased
2001: Third Overseas Tour to Barbados
2004: Second Sri Lanka Tour
2007: Overseas Tour to South Africa
2008: OMWCC Centenary
2008: New outdoor nets facility installed
2008: Awarded Clubmark accreditation
2009: Club Name changed to Trinity Mid-Whitgiftian Cricket Club
2010: Joined the Surrey Trust League
2010: Mark Butcher inducted as Honorary Life Member
2011: Electronic scoreboard installed
2011: Achieved Focus Club status
2012: U8s, U9s & U10s all win their leagues
2012: Boundary fencing erected around bottom square